Monday, August 07, 2006

NY

Naangu kannadi chuvargalukkul,
Naanum mezhuguvarthiyum.
Thanimai thanimai.


I never had too much respect for Vaali. But these lines were just too good. Imagined myself in a room with mirrors for walls… I look in all possible directions, but none is in sight Other than me. And the candle touch is nice. Awesome way to convey the absence of the Other.

But I should say that the way ARR has handled the song has surprised me. To borrow a friend’s words, he seems to be celebrating the thanimai. This, in spite of the pain that one would think the lyricist is trying to convey. Should be fun to see the context in which this song occurs in the movie.

Update: Maybe Jothika dies and in this song Surya celebrates her life. (Jo fans might want to think its the Other female who dies). Vaan, nilam; Ange, inge; Mezhuguvathi (as the vilakku that is kept on after a person's death); ARR's Celebrating tone - Everything fits into the death ka funda. :-)

2 Value-adds:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, your interpretation fits in. But i don't see surya celebrating her life in the song apart from those odd lines in the second stanza.

I would attribute the postive tone of the song to surya's hope to be with her someday. Death doesn't fit in quite well here.

I also don't seem to understand why 'vilakku' should be replaced by candles.

August 09, 2006 10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vilakku,as far as I understand always denotes the positive touch...in Tamil...
And Candles...burn themselves to give light...sort of in the destructive sense..I guess..

August 09, 2006 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home