Thursday, May 05, 2005

Who owns the womb?

Amit Varma raises an issue that I had wondered about sometime ago. Why should only the woman have right over the baby? I obviously am not concerning myself with extreme cases like rape or when the delivery might harm the woman (as it is in the instance Amit cites).

But in a "normal" pregnancy, I dont see why the woman's consent alone is enough for abortion. I would think that the man and woman agree - or at least dont have any problems - to having a child when they decide to have sex. So how can one party renege on the contract without the consent of the other?

I understand that the situation when the man wants the abortion is different from when the woman wants it - primarily because the woman would have to carry the baby in her womb. But does that absolve her of the contract effective from when they did it?

Would love to know if there is any philosophical/rational/legal inconsistency in my position..

6 Value-adds:

Blogger Harsha V. Madhyastha said...

Hadn't realized until now that the Amit Varma you cite is the same as the one who's blogs get posted on Cricinfo ...

May 06, 2005 7:22 AM  
Blogger eV said...

Well, he is a reporter at Cricinfo - and apparently was a part of the creative team behind MTV Bakra (src: India Today)

May 06, 2005 8:03 AM  
Blogger amit varma said...

I think the mistake you make is by assuming that an act of sex is an implied contract to have a baby. That is rarely the case in our times.

May 06, 2005 11:42 AM  
Blogger eV said...

By a contract, I meant that the man and woman have to be responsible for the results of whatever action they take. Since contraceptive options are available - and were not used, I dont see why the couple can absolve themselves of the responsiblity they have towards the foetus.

May 06, 2005 11:50 AM  
Blogger amit varma said...

By that logic, you're against abortion to begin with, in which case the issue of the man's rights in the matter is moot.

May 06, 2005 12:16 PM  
Blogger eV said...

Yep, makes sense. Maybe will post my views on abortion sometime in the future. Though I identify myself with the Left in many issues, on this issue I seem to agree with the Catholic Church. Maybe posting a message on it will help clarify my own position.

May 06, 2005 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home