Monday, October 18, 2004

Why we dont see invisible things...

Today while I was in one of the two enlightening places I've mentioned in my blog, it dawned on me that human eye can focus only on a real object. To understand what I mean, please do the following experiment. Stare at the ceiling of your room - so that there is no object that hinders your view of the ceiling. Now try to adjust your eyes so that the ceiling blurs away, i.e. try to focus at some point between the ceiling and your eyes. I was able to do this successfully only in two conditions - either while I focused on my nose(!!), or when I subconsciously closed my eyes partially. Thus was born my theory that humans cannot focus their eyes on a point in free space unless there is a visible object at that point. So if Hitler's ghost was standing right in front of me, I wouldnt be able to see it unless it is real. Well, well.. I'm beginning to understand that all I've proved is that invisible things, if any, exist in a virtual world - but one that occupies the same physical space as our real world. In fact, we might have finitely many (if not infinite) different worlds in the same space. So travelling to a different world might not be all that difficult or time-consuming once we figure out a way to upgrade our eyes!!

12 Value-adds:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm. reminds me of george abbot's flatland. read a synopsis of it recently. whole book seems to be online http://www.alcyone.com/max/lit/flatland/
ensoi..
ur habitually anonymous commenter
aka
the only guy other than u who reads ur blogs :P

October 18, 2004 4:14 PM  
Blogger Vish said...

"The only other guy who reads your blog" ... What a gross misstatement .. There's me who reads this blog.

As of now you could say, "One of the other guys who reads your blog" ... But that doesnt mean anything ...So my suggestion would be, issue a public apology, and withdraw your statement, Mr. Anonymous.

October 18, 2004 11:28 PM  
Blogger eV said...

chill vishy.. as for u hetu, plz do realise that its difficult for me to keep my fans under control when u make such statements :P

October 19, 2004 1:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa! that was fun ;) varath, u must be feeling important:P

we must start a committee for preserving law and order among the fans of eV. those found breaking the peace will be given an electric shock measuring 1.602*10^(-19) V.

October 19, 2004 3:46 AM  
Blogger Juggernaut said...

Hulo!
i stumbled upon ur blog from vishy's ,
gosh ...i think u ain't right ...it is not the inabilityof the human eye to focus on things invisible...just that even if you do ....invisible things being transparent .......shows whats behind them ..and hence the human eye adjusts itself to behold the image that it can see!

c ya
regs
jugg

October 19, 2004 9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In other words...you don't see invisible things because ..they are not visible :)

October 20, 2004 2:28 AM  
Blogger eV said...

hmm.. had actually thought of that while writing the post. Lemme clarify.. jugg's logic is that even if we can focus our eyes on empty space, we would see through invisible things.. My point is how would you know that when we cant focus our eyes on empty space? In short, you cannot disprove my theory !

October 20, 2004 2:41 AM  
Blogger Juggernaut said...

Nope ..it aint like that!

Varath ...repeat ur experiment ..u can infact try and adjust urself so that the ceiling blurs away ..this can be done without partially closing ur eyes ....or even without looking at ur nose(imitating a squint) ..its easy ...all u have to defocus ur eyes! and this is indeed possible......and thats because ur eye is simply adjusting itself to behold an object that does not exist.

It is actually more so because of the brain ...it automatically makes u focus on objects beyond the invisible subject being talked of here ...

so it is not that ur theory is totally wrong ..just that ur experiment is not COMPLETE ...and not being done under Standard Temperature and Pressure :)

Juggernaut.

October 20, 2004 1:56 PM  
Blogger Aakash said...

huh ? sound interesting. Now that means if you want to see invisible things you should see it with your eyes closed. great !! Keep it up

October 30, 2004 4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the posts after this seem to have turned invisible ;)

November 07, 2004 5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You posted a comment on one of my blogs and I just wanted to let you know I changed all of my students names prior to writing the blog. I teach an entire course on ethics.

Best

November 08, 2004 7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wonder if reflections ( which dont really exist) of objects otherwise called mirages would qualify for contention with invisible objects here? So if a mirage does not exist and the human eye can see it, is it the same as spying into the invisible dream? and aakash how can you close your eyes to see the invisible? if i closed my eyes, i would still be seeing the inside of my eyelid, an object wouldnt i?

i wonder about dreams and all the objects i see in my dreams. is that the only secret way to "seeing" invisible objects? kind of like the moon that absorbs the sunlight all day long to reflect it back at night. where the brain takes in the invisible objects "in" all day long without letting the eye "see" it but revealing it all on the inner eye lid at night that acts as a projector to see the day's invisible goings on.

November 06, 2006 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home