Thursday, June 29, 2006

What did I like about Pudhupettai?

A friend msged asking me the above question. I knew an SMS wouldn't provide enough scope for me to respond. I started typing out a mail, and decided I should post it here as well. Unmitigated learnings! I didn't have the time to type out all my reasons, but intend to finish it when I get the time, which might be after I (hopefully) watch the movie again this weekend. For those who haven't watched the movie yet, be advised that there are spoilers galore in this post. You may want to watch the movie before you read this. Others, read on...


When I went into the theatre, I knew that the song was not going to be there. I had literally been counting down the days to the movie release so that I could see two things: the context in which the song is used and the picturisation of the song. But Sify & a friend told me that the song wasn’t there. So I had kind-of resigned to that. I didn’t know what to expect of the movie – now that what I had looked fwd to the most wasn’t going to be there.

Then the movie began. I wasn’t especially pleased by the first few shots – but not disappointed either. Till “Enga area ulla varathe” happened. I was terribly disappointed with the beginning of the song. The three guys coming from three directions one-by-one in a predictable manner majorly p*ssed me off. From that low, SR took me on a major high during the song. In that song, SR did what he does best – visually depicting the inter-class disparity. (Aside: SR has done this in TI, KK & 7GRC) Those stills that brought out this contrast gave me that comfort feel that SR hadn’t lost his mind after all.

The next high, for me, came soon after amma’s death. I remember being amazed by the scene in which Dhanush p*ssed in his pants when his father prepares to kill him. To see such a thing that realistic happen in a tam film was too good. At that instant, a huge section of the crowd laughed loudly. I silently swore at the crowd.

The scene where Dhanush takes to begging was also quite interesting.

One of the best scenes in the movie was when Dhanush and his gang-mates talk of their problems over booze. Dhanush’s “naan velila thaan sirikren, aana ulle azhuthutu irukken”, “mani anne, oru oru vaati azhuthidava” and the Other gangster responding finally with “Etho ivanukku mattumthaan kashtam endra mathiri pesuraan!– nachnu irunthichu. And in this scene, Dhanush also mentions a reason for his guilt feeling – if he hadn’t gone for the night show film that day, he would’ve been home to save his mom from his dad.

3 Value-adds:

Blogger DD said...

The gap interpretation of the MGR(?) song in Enga Area really took me by surprise :) Strong interrpretation!
And you have told abt only the first 30 mins...Close to 3 hrs still remaining :)

June 30, 2006 11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting.. so when are we getting the rest of the details.

July 13, 2006 2:59 PM  
Blogger eV said...

SS: No Other details. Not till you watch the movie. In a theatre.

July 13, 2006 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home