Tuesday, January 18, 2005

McKinsey and automechanics

Well, this past week I had the opportunity to again drive one of the most wonderfully crafted machines that a human brain has ever conceived of - my TVS Champ. (Fyi: On a vaguely related topic, I havent quite ridden any bikes as yet) Getting back to the point, I had to visit an automechanic to set right a few minor probs in my two-wheeler. While I was at this guy's shop, I couldnt help but think how he would do very well in the McKinseys and BCGs of this world. He asked me what the problem was, and given this data he got down to work rather systematically. In his mind, he seemed to have broken down the vehicle into various interlinked sub-systems, and by studying each subsystem independently he zeroed in on the problem area - and he did this in around 10-15 mins. I'm told that consulting companies look for high levels of structured thinking while recruiting. So I figured the consults would be well-advised to recruit such people. As if to prove my hypothesis right, my vehicle broke down half an hour after I left the place! :(

2 Value-adds:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

components, subcomponents, interlinking..ID 110 anybody?

January 18, 2005 9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice bike it is...

February 15, 2005 10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home