Monday, February 07, 2005

Constable Pappu, MBBS

A report in The Hindu notes that around 20 doctors and a large number of engineers have applied for the post of constable in Thane.

This summarises two malaises of our society, as I see it - first, the craze for a degree in engineering or medicine & also the sorry state of economy that graduates dont seem to find a job commensurate with his educational qualifications.

Its the second one that is more distressing to me - in that our economy is unable to provide jobs for so many 'skilled' people. In fact, if this problem was addressed I suppose the craze for engg or med wud automatically wane away.

This reminds me of the question I had asked an ex-planning commission guy who had come to my college. The question went like this - "Given that India lives in its villages, how can alternative sources of employment be generated in rural India? And what is the role of government and others in this initiative?" In response, he did'nt quite get down to specifics, but one case he did quote was the similar role of Town-Village Enterprise in China. Anyone with any ideas on this?

Even as I was typing the above, I came across this report in the same edition of Hindu on a novel initiative by Anna University to provide employment opportunities for engineering graduates across Tamil Nadu. Well, there is hope! And to quote from Shawshank Redemption, "Hope is good".

1 Value-adds:

Blogger DD said...

I guess it is part of the great Indian culture...children are egged on to be Engrs/Doctors..even i m a mini-victim of this...gave in to peer pressure and dived into Engg even though my parents gave me full freedom on wht i wanted to do..mroe on this coming up on my blog soon :-)

February 07, 2005 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home