Sunday, June 12, 2005

Being Indian

The book was recommended very highly by Vishy. And well... just like so many other things in life, Vishy and I dont share the same opinion on this as well. The book presents some interesting insights into explaining why Indians behave the way they do. But where it fails - and a resounding failure at that - is in explaining how the 21st century will be India's (which is the stated aim of the book).

Overall, a thank you to Pavan Varma for writing the book, but would rate it only at a 4 on 10.

Interestingly, I believe the book was made possible by the author's stints abroad as a diplomat. Only reinforces the funda that to figure out stuff about something you are a part of, you've got to get out and get the outsider's point-of-view.

6 Value-adds:

Blogger Vish said...

Come on da ... Give the author some liberty. Every author needs a bit of creative liberty.

I too wasnt really impressed by his vision of twenty first century being India's. Was quite cliched.

But the first half of the book, where he analyzes the Indian mentality and psyche, was rather brilliant..

June 14, 2005 3:09 PM  
Blogger eV said...

Give me a break! The book wasnt an exercise in creativity da. And like I said, insights were good - all right, but the core thesis of the book was defended rather lamely.

June 14, 2005 6:49 PM  
Blogger Dependsmaybe said...

Nice try vishy.

Varath had decisively concluded that this is one of those things that you dont share.

June 15, 2005 6:54 PM  
Blogger Vish said...

Well .. I was just hoping I would find that single strand of commonality between me and Varath .. And hope is all I ever will do I guess..

June 17, 2005 8:53 PM  
Blogger eV said...

Well Vishy, there is one thing we both like: Anbe Sivam - though the degree might vary :)

June 17, 2005 10:02 PM  
Blogger Vish said...

The generic verb "like" is too grossly unjust to describe your bonding to Anbe Sivam. Obsession is a better word I guess.

June 19, 2005 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home