Sunday, February 13, 2005

The songs I like....

Am back to the topic of Kaadhal. One of my fav songs is "Thottu Thottu Ennai". Started listening to this song coz I liked the tune as such, but have fallen in love (pun intended) with the song ever since I noticed a couple of lines in the song - "Ulagathilulla chithravathaikellam chella peyar veythay kaadhal" and "Thodakkamum illai mudivugalum illai, kadavulai pole kaadhal" - these lines can be loosely translated to "Love is after all, the nickname for all the torture in the world" and "Neither a beginning nor an end, love is so much like God".

This got me thinking on how I've liked some songs based on lyrics, while others based on the tune. I must confess here that I can remember just a few songs that I loved for the lyrics, and not the tune when I heard it the first time. Top on that list are "Vidaikodu engal naade" from Kannathil Muthamittal and "Thaniye thannanthaniye" from Rhythm. Both these songs have amazing lyrics - the former creates superb imagery of the context, while the latter is superb poetry and a play of words. But its indeed a pity that there arent many songs that I first liked for the lyrics. Wot a tragedy!?!

3 Value-adds:

Blogger Mizohican said...

i can see that the valentine's day bug is biting everybody in campus.... :))

February 13, 2005 4:36 PM  
Blogger Sridhar Raman said...

>>But its indeed a pity that there arent many songs that I first liked for the lyrics

But what about songs that you definitely DID NOT like right away on hearing the lyrics?
Say, "Pathukulle Numberonnu Sollu.."?

:-)

February 13, 2005 10:10 PM  
Blogger eV said...

Well Chilli, you could also add "Kaadhal valarthen.." to that category. Come to think of it, there have been quite a few songs of this kind...

February 13, 2005 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home